Friday, August 28, 2009

Day One: Bethlehem

The streets of BethlehemThe spot where Jesus was born.
The spot where Jesus was born, the star picture above is under the blue drapes. Many people kiss the star.
The outside of the Nativity Church where Jesus's manger is.

I’m sitting in my room in Palestine listening to a Palestinian protest, I’m not sure what they’re saying but there is chanting and yelling. I’m curious to read about it tomorrow as I assume that this will be a regular occurrence during my time here. Don‘t worry, I’m completely safe and have been advised to stay away from any kind of demonstration.

We arrived in Tel-Aviv around 3pm (7am CST) and are staying at Thalith Kumi in Beit Jala, Palestine. I will be staying here for a week until I move into my permanent residence, which I am pleased to announce, is in Ramallah, Palestine. I will be working in a school, but do not know my exact role yet.

Last night we had a meal in a nearly empty local restaurant down the street from my country coordinator’s home. Because Muslims are currently observing Ramadan, the streets are emptier as they cannot eat when the sun is down. Most wake up before sunrise (around 4am) to eat and then fast until sundown, which is about 7:30pm here. Ramadan continues until there is another full moon, which will be sometime in mid-September.

Today our group spent time in Bethlehem. The streets were quite empty as today is the Muslim Sabbath. We visited the Nativity Church, the site where Christ is thought to be born. All of the buildings here are made out of limestone, so it can be extremely bright during the day. We spent the rest of the day walking through the streets of Bethlehem. We took a break for falafel – a ball with chickpeas and spices that’s fried. You can find it in the US, but it’s much better here.

Walking through the streets of any city in the West Bank, you can’t help but notice that there are very few women out and about, particularly after dark. Women are usually only seen when they are on their way to work or shopping for groceries. If they wish to go out after dark, they need to be accompanied by a father or brother. Men loitering the streets is also an indicator of a high unemployment rate. Most Palestinians are not allowed to enter into Israel, those that are allowed find that crossing a checkpoint can take upwards of 6 hours, so commuting can be difficult. Many Palestinians have college educations, but the local economy does not support jobs that require that education. Most people work in factories or in construction of the Israeli settlements – very ironic.

Look forward to more posts as I continue to see this amazing place! I love the comments!

Special Thanks to:

Suzanne, my country coordinator for making vegan brownies

Faddi, a young man I met today with a fabulous name

Bethany, MY ROOMMATE FOR THE YEAR!!

4 comments:

jenbaum said...

Yay! You sound so great, Laurie! I am happy that you have a roommate, vegan brownies, and fabulous falafels! Sounds like things are off to a great start for you. I look forward to continued reading and learning through you this year!!! blessings... jen.

satwood said...

Laurie
Love reading about your first day in Bethlehem. Remember when you chose to work on the Palestinian group project as you wanted to chalenge yourself and knew little about the Middle East........look where it led you!
I will be following your adventures and sharing with the upcoming LEAD class,
All the best
Susan

Anonymous said...

Laurie,

I'm so impressed you are out and about touring on the first day. That'll be good for you to get on your new time zone schedule.

I'll be following you diligently and can't wait to hear about your adventures.

Good luck,

Amy

Unknown said...

Neighborino.

I miss you dearly but after reading your blog, I feel like we are just sitting in your basement or the corner booth at the Library brainstorming about our existence. This year will surely bring about some interesting experiences for you. I miss you like crazy but I'm sooo proud of you!!! Keep the posts coming. The pictures look really neat!

Hillary