Sunday, October 18, 2009

Firsts...

Marhabba!

Sorry for the delay in updating my blog. This week has been a week of firsts: first visit to the doctor in Palestine, first visit to the Dead Sea, first blown tire, first Twins game on a beach, and first camel ride.

I’ll begin with the doctor. I woke up on Thursday morning with a swollen and painful left eye. I thought I might have something in my eye from spending the previous weekend in a cave. After the women at my school called an ophthalmologist, I was whisked away in a cab to the doctor. I really didn’t know what to expect and still don’t have a thorough understanding of how the medical system works here. I entered the waiting room to find about 20 people waiting to see a doctor. After filling out paperwork, I am now officially on file as Laurie George Blank. I then passed by two other waiting rooms for our doctor each holding about 20 more people. I saw a doctor immediately who if I ever had surgery on my eye (I did, in 1998) and explained that the swelling was caused by extreme dryness. I was given an ointment and drops and sent on my way. Overall, I was very satisfied with the care I received (a visit was just $25), but concerned that I completely skipped the line. I don’t know why I was allowed to cut the line – it’s a privilege that I’m not comfortable taking advantage of.

Yesterday, our coordinator and American volunteers headed to Ein Gedi National Park and the Dead Sea. On the way there, we stopped for a camel ride in Jericho (Thanks, Suzanne!). Of course it wasn’t without a bit of drama. As we drove along the shores of the sea, the front right tire blew out. It was hot, very hot and the eight of us weren’t exactly sure how to change our tire. Thankfully a kind Israeli family stopped and changed our tire (in the sand!!) and sent us on our merry way. Ein Gedi was beautiful. Overlooking the Dead Sea, Ein Gedi has a hikers paradise with natural springs. Because I’ve never been the hiking type, I stayed with the springs. Afterwards, we headed to the Dead Sea. Unfortunately, I made the grave mistake of shaving my legs that morning and the salt from the sea burned my legs. The water acts as a natural exfoliation, so next time I will not be shaving for several days prior. The Dead Sea is as everyone says it is. It is nearly impossible to go underwater because you are so buoyant, you don’t even feel that wet because the water is so salty. After floating in the sea for a while, we went to a mud pit and covered ourselves head to toe in the mud. After washing it off, my skin felt amazing. Our day concluded with a 3-hour drive home due to a car accident at Kalandia (the checkpoint to Ramallah) – an adventure it was.

Lastly, Beth and I had an evening of fun in Tel-Aviv watching the Twins/Tigers game a week and a half ago. Beth met a USAID employee from Bloomington who invited to a bar in Tel-Aviv that has ESPN. The game began at 11pm our time. Because it went into 12 (I think) innings, it didn’t get over until 3am. Due to the curfew from the Jewish holiday of Sukkoth, all checkpoints were closed from 12:30am to 5am. We decided to pass our time with a nap on the beach. We ended up getting into Ramallah at 6:30am and had school at 7:30. It seemed like a flashback from my days at the U of M. I was tired but watching a baseball game with a pitcher of beer was so worth it.

I’m hoping to post pictures soon. Again, I sincerely appreciate the comments. I hope you’re well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurie!

Sounds like your trip is going really well, I'm so glad to see that! I enjoyed reading the bit about the Twins-Tigers game, sounds like quite the experience! I enjoy getting your updates every so often, they provide a bright spot in my busy college life back at home.

Keep having fun and enjoying yourself!

Best Wishes, Joe Sandbulte